Well, it feels like we have even fewer answers now than we did when I wrote that post last night. The placenta appears to have moved up, but there is a mass of blood vessels very close to the cervix and they don’t know if it’s attached to the placenta or if it’s attached to the uterus. They spent literally 30 minutes going back and forth between ultrasound machines, looking back at past ultrasounds, and drawing pictures of my placenta to show other doctors. My OB said he’s never seen anything like this, and he doesn’t think the high risk doctor has any idea what’s going on either (I can’t even count the number of times I’ve been told by a doctor that they’ve never seen anything like what’s going on with me/baby).

I never got much closure from the high risk appointment because the baby’s heart rate was almost 200 which is way too high, so they sent me up to triage to be monitored. Her heart rate stayed normal the whole time I was there, so they sent me home. I tried to ask questions about what they recommended for delivery (whether it would be a c-section), but all they would say was that they weren’t going to worry about it, because their main concern was whether or not I was going to deliver today (obviously, I didn’t need to though).

So I was hoping for more answers from my OB, but that’s when he told me they basically have no idea why those blood vessels are there, and he’s already been on the phone with two doctors about me today. At this point, it’s more waiting. Since they don’t know if the placenta is attached to the vessels, they are willing to let me be induced and try to deliver normally. It’s just a matter of when, since they don’t want to risk another abruption. My OB said they will probably induce around 37 weeks, but we’re just going to take it on a week-by-week basis.

So more waiting.  I should be used to it by now.  This entire pregnancy has been all about reaching a milestone only to find out it’s not nearly over and that we have to “wait and see” some more.  I’m planning to keep busy these next few weeks to try to keep my mind off everything.  I have a few projects to finish up, some cleaning I’d like to get done (unfortunately, raleigh nc house cleaning is not planning a stop at my house!) and I want to get everything ready for the next school year. I’ll also start going in twice a week for non-stress tests and once a week for OB appointments, so Baby Girl will be well-monitored. And I’ll see the high risk doctor again in the middle of August, if I’m still pregnant then.

I will be 34 weeks along on Tuesday!  At the beginning of this pregnancy, I never thought I would manage to stay pregnant this long, but somehow I have!  I haven’t even had any bleeding since about 30 weeks.

Tomorrow I have an appointment in the morning with my high risk doctor and we find out where we go from here.  If the placenta previa hasn’t resolved, it will be a c-section for sure.  My high risk doctor said that the uterus doesn’t really grow after 35 weeks (the baby grows, but the fluid levels go down somewhat, so the uterus stays about the same), so if it hasn’t moved by now, it isn’t going to.

In the afternoon, I have an appointment with my OB to discuss what the high risk doctor finds and schedule whatever needs to be scheduled.  He already told me that if the previa isn’t resolved, he’ll schedule a c-section at 37 weeks because he doesn’t want to risk another abruption.  I strongly suspect that even if it has resolved, he will want to schedule an induction at 37 weeks for the same reason.  I’m OK with it, because at this point I don’t really care what has to be done, as long as we get a healthy baby.  I have no expectations or preconceived notions about this birth.

So that’s where we stand right now.  It’s crazy to think that we will probably have a baby in about 3 weeks!  I’ve had everything ready since about 25 weeks (when I was in the hospital last), but I still have some projects I want to squeeze into these last few weeks.  I’m running out of time!

This fall when we start school again, Ava is going to start piano lessons.  It won’t be long before Kelvin will follow along (probably next fall).  After they have a firm knowledge of music from learning the piano, they’ll be free to pick their own instruments.  I have to admit, I’m looking forward to poring over www.musician.com to get the perfect supplies for whatever instrument they’ve chosen.  I hope they enjoy it as much as I do!

One of my favorite parts of being an Influenster is mail day!  Every so often, I get an email informing me that I’ve been selected to receive a Vox Box and then the waiting begins!  I usually don’t know for sure what’s in the box, so it’s extra fun when I finally get to open it.

The TLC Box Box didn’t disappoint!

IMAG2622

I got to try out a bar of Ivory Soap, a trial size pack of Puffs Plus Lotion, Anew Reversalist Complete Renewal Express Wrinkle Smoother, Neo To Go (perfect for the diaper bag!), a Shell gas rewards card, and a coupon for Breyer’s Gelato.  I have to say, my favorite out of the whole box was the gelato!!  I am SOLD on it!

 

Summer is here, and although I haven’t been able to spend much time out in the sun (one of the side effects of being stuck in a hospital bed for days), the kids have been spending lots of time out there!  I heard they were in their wading pool before 8:00 am this morning!

One of the biggest things on my must-buy-for-summer list is always sunscreen.  It’s so important to avoid overexposure to the sun!

I was thrilled to receive the Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review as a BzzAgent this summer.  This is truly amazing sunscreen.  I hate it when you spray sunscreen on and it leaves a greasy feeling all over your skin.  You can barely tell that this is on!  It is non-greasy, it won’t clog pores, it’s completely sheer, and it even looks great under makeup!  My favorite is the spray because it’s easy to spray the kids down, and it absorbs within a few seconds so I don’t have to worry about it coming off as soon as they get in the pool.

In all, I can’t recommend this sunscreen highly enough!

Disclosure: I received samples of Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review from BzzAgent.  All opinions are my own.

In case you can’t tell from the title, I’m writing this from the hospital where I’m on strict bed rest.

Yesterday, I had gushes of bright red bleeding so we rushed to the hospital.  They started steroid shots to develop the baby’s lungs and admitted me for monitoring.  They said I would be here at least until today so I could finish the round of steroids (it’s two shots, 24 hours apart).

My OB is on call today and told me I’ll be staying at least until tomorrow when I can see my high risk specialist.  He’ll decide what the best course of action is and when I can go home.

Last night was a bit rough.  I was having quite a few contractions, the baby wouldn’t stay on the monitors and I barely slept at all.  The contractions have calmed down today so I haven’t had to start the magnesium drip (yet).  Hopefully they will stay calm overnight so that I have a better chance of going home tomorrow.  The big kids came to visit today, but I miss Carter (it would have been too hard for him to be able to see me here and then have to leave without me again).

At least I’m off the monitors for now.  Being practically chained to the bed, unable to move for fear that the monitor would stop picking up the baby’s heart rate was no fun!  I will definitely be looking forward to being back in my own bed, and my own house where I control the temperature!  (Let me tell you, this hospital does not need Durham air conditioning repair …theirs is working JUST fine!)  And I’ll really be looking forward to eating something other than hospital food.  Thankfully, Grandma sent REAL coffee with Chad this morning!

I had an appointment with my OB today.  Nothing has changed.  I’m still bleeding every day (and have been for nearly a month), but Baby Girl still looks perfect.

The topic of doing steroid shots for her lungs came up.  Because they only “last” for seven days and there’s no evidence to suggest that things are getting worse right now, I think we’re going to hold off on doing the steroid shots for now.  If things appear to be getting worse again (heavier bleeding, more contractions), we’ll revisit the idea.  My OB did say he was going to call and talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks, though.  The reason we would still consider doing them is that I would need 2 shots, 24 hours apart.  If Baby Girl is coming early, it will be an emergency and we won’t have the 24 hours.  So we’ll see.

My next appointment is with my high risk doctor in a couple weeks.  I’m kind of upset that I’m not being monitored weekly like I was promised, but I’m going to talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks when I see him.

Today I had my appointment with the high risk specialist. They checked several possible sources of bleeding. I can’t remember what they all were, but they said for sure that it isn’t coming from the baby, so it is coming from a placenta abruption, which we pretty much already knew. It’s almost impossible for them to find the exact spot, but I guess it doesn’t really matter that much anyway.

My placenta is still low-lying and he thinks it could still move up, but if she has to be gotten out quickly anytime soon (I’m 23 weeks), it will have to be a c-section because it’s too low right now.

The baby looks really good. All of her measurements are perfect. My cervix is a little short, which he’s a little concerned about. I think that has changed recently because they always said it was long and closed at past ultrasounds.

He said I have a 10-15% chance of making it to term and I have a better than 50% chance (at this point) of the baby surviving. Both of those stats kind of blew me away. He said he has high hopes of me making it to 32 weeks. I’m not sure if that means he thinks I have a really good chance of making it that far, or if it means it’s a lofty goal to shoot for. I’m going to ask my doctor when I see him on Monday.

In addition to not lifting, I’m now not allowed to bend over either. I thought not lifting was hard, this is going to be ridiculous. It’s so automatic to just bend down.

My doctor had said I’d only have to see the high risk specialist one time, but I guess it’s going to be a regular thing (he kept saying I was a “special” patient…I kept thinking I don’t want to be special when it comes to things like this!!). I’ll keep seeing my OB weekly and I go back to the high risk doctor in 3 weeks for another ultrasound.

I think that’s everything. I don’t think I feel any better or worse about any of it (except those chances he gave me…those freaked me out a bit). I felt like I needed to keep asking questions to understand it better, but there were no more questions that they could give me answers to. They don’t really know exactly what’s going on or what’s going to happen and I just have to keep being monitored closely.

I have my 20-week ultrasound tomorrow!  I was very hopeful that we would find out that the subchorionic hemorrhage was gone, but after more bleeding the last couple of days, I’m pretty sure it’s not.  It could definitely be smaller though, which would be good news!  We’ll just have to wait and see.

In other news, we are back to school this week.  We’re splitting a week over this week and next week (because we still have craziness going on and can’t do school every day yet…plus I’m still catching up on stuff like quarterly taxes, paying bills and looking for insurance like don allred insurance ) and then we’re taking another week off to visit family.  When I looked over our school calendar for April, we’re only doing one week’s worth of school the entire month!  It’s been kind of nice to take a break, but it won’t still be nice when we’re still doing some of our school in July!

I’ll try to be back tomorrow to update after my ultrasound!

It’s almost time for us to dig back in and finish off our last ten weeks of this school year.  Can I just say that I do not feel refreshed and ready to get back to it?

I’m not sure where all of my extra hours I was supposed to have during this break have gone, but they have up and vanished.  We’ve been so busy anyway, I’m not sure exactly how we’re going to start squeezing school back in next week!  Oh well.  10 more weeks.  Just 10 more weeks.

One of the things we’ve added in that has kept us busy is taekwondo for the older kids.  They love it (mostly…Ava loves it and Kelvin is having some motivation issues, as usual) and they are just the cutest little taekwondo people ever, right?

I have two baskets of laundry calling my name and then I think I hear my pillow calling, too.  I know I haven’t been sleeping enough lately, so it’s time to fix that before we get back to the routine, too!