Archive for October, 2008
Here’s what I’ve learned about having two kids under two years old so far:
- Empty the diaper pail. Now. Even though Kelvin is cloth-diapered 95% of the time, it’s crazy how fast the diaper pails fill up!!
- Let the house go. Honestly, the only things I’m keeping up with right now are laundry and dishes. I wash laundry one day, fold it the next (we do laundry every other day around here). I run the dishwasher every other day and empty it the next day. I try to pick up the living room once a day after Ava goes to bed. That’s about all I have time for at this point and that’s OK for right now! A little dust never killed anyone!
- Don’t expect too much. Two kids is a full-time job (especially when one has acid reflux and insists on being held CONSTANTLY!), so I try to be realistic in my expectations on what I can get done.
- I can spend quality time with Ava while I’m tied down nursing Kelvin. We read lots of books while I’m feeding him!
- Stay connected to friends and family. It’s important for me just to have people to talk to and share every day life with, and it’s important to them because they want to keep up to date on everything going on with the kids, especially since all our family lives so far away.
- Turn on some music or the TV. It’s really hard sometimes being stuck in the house with only two little people, neither of which can string two words together. Background noise is essential to maintain my sanity!
- Showers rock! It took me awhile to figure out how to squeeze in a daily shower (by myself), but I think I have it down now. At this point, that’s pretty much the only thing I get to do everyday for me, so I look forward to it.
- Use a baby carrier. Kelvin’s still getting used to it, but my Peanut Shell is a lifesaver sometimes!
- Ignore the clock. There’s no point in even trying to get anything done by a certain time when my everyday life is dictated by two people who can’t tell time.
- Don’t blink. Even though it can be overwhelming sometimes, I know I’ll look back and miss this someday. It’s going to go so fast and if I blink I might miss it!
I hate to do it, but I hope any readers we have attracted over the short lifetime of this blog will bear with us as this blog becomes a little inactive over the next few weeks.
Lora, as you all know, has her hands quite full with new baby and all that goes with that. I don’t expect her to have any extra time to devote to writing on this blog.
I am leaving town with my family for an extended road trip. I hope to be able to keep up with writing (at least a litttle bit) for my blogs, but as you can imagine I will be quite distracted and spread quite thin…so realistically I don’t think I can promise much from me while I am gone.
Please come back once we are back though! There’s a lot in store for this blog!
We are thrilled to announce that Kelvin James arrived ON HIS DUE DATE this morning at 5:14 am.
- Weight: 8 pounds 8 ounces
- Length: 20 1/4 inches
Nice little head of hair and is said to be quite alert…although when I just talked to her he had just settled in for a little nap after his first good nurse.
Soooooo happy he’s here at last and congrats Lora and Chad and Ava!!!
Just wanted to update our readers with news!
Lora and Chad have been at the hospital since around 11 pm last night. It is now a liitle after 6 am and she was going to call me as soon as our little Kelvin had arrived and I was really surprised not to have heard from her yet. It literally has to be any minute now he will be here!
My baby is having her baby!
…waiting for a baby!
Yes…we here at Motherhood Moments are a little baby preoccupied lately! Can you blame us? Lora’s been dilated to at least 4 cm for over a month! We’ve been thinking “any day now” for days and days and days and days and days…
How well I remember actually being the ONE who is waiting the most! It hasn’t been that long since my littlest guy is only two…but then again he didn’t make me wait as he was 5 weeks early! Anyway…I digress. I thought I would jot down a few things that are great to do while you are waiting for an impending arrival!
Here they are in no particular order:
- Have one last date night
- Get a manicure/pedicure
- Have a pregnancy massage
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Go to the zoo
- Wash all your bedding (sheets, quilts, etc)
- Do some nitty gritty cleaning that you won’t have time to do later (labor inducing???)
- Find a good book to take to the hospital
- Take a bunch of pictures of older child(ren)
- Bake a birthday cake (hint, hint)
- Write a “waiting for you” letter to the baby
- Take a long walk
- Make eggplant parmigiana
- Start a big puzzle
Got any more? I’m sure Lora would appreciate hearing them!
As a new blog, we really appreciate all the traffic we get! Thank you so much to all of our droppers in September!
1. Is 8 Enough? – 29 drops
2. Stud Kickass: The Webcomic – 29 drops
3. Designing Hilary – 29 drops
4. Lofty Matters – 29 drops
5. PaulsHealthBlog.com – 23 drops
6. The Matthias Chronicles – 23 drops
7. Your Parenting Info – 19 drops
8. Mumsy – 19 drops
9. The Single Parent Talks – 18 drops
10. Curiously Awesome – 18 drops