Archive for May, 2014

Summer is here, and although I haven’t been able to spend much time out in the sun (one of the side effects of being stuck in a hospital bed for days), the kids have been spending lots of time out there!  I heard they were in their wading pool before 8:00 am this morning!

One of the biggest things on my must-buy-for-summer list is always sunscreen.  It’s so important to avoid overexposure to the sun!

I was thrilled to receive the Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review as a BzzAgent this summer.  This is truly amazing sunscreen.  I hate it when you spray sunscreen on and it leaves a greasy feeling all over your skin.  You can barely tell that this is on!  It is non-greasy, it won’t clog pores, it’s completely sheer, and it even looks great under makeup!  My favorite is the spray because it’s easy to spray the kids down, and it absorbs within a few seconds so I don’t have to worry about it coming off as soon as they get in the pool.

In all, I can’t recommend this sunscreen highly enough!

Disclosure: I received samples of Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review from BzzAgent.  All opinions are my own.

In case you can’t tell from the title, I’m writing this from the hospital where I’m on strict bed rest.

Yesterday, I had gushes of bright red bleeding so we rushed to the hospital.  They started steroid shots to develop the baby’s lungs and admitted me for monitoring.  They said I would be here at least until today so I could finish the round of steroids (it’s two shots, 24 hours apart).

My OB is on call today and told me I’ll be staying at least until tomorrow when I can see my high risk specialist.  He’ll decide what the best course of action is and when I can go home.

Last night was a bit rough.  I was having quite a few contractions, the baby wouldn’t stay on the monitors and I barely slept at all.  The contractions have calmed down today so I haven’t had to start the magnesium drip (yet).  Hopefully they will stay calm overnight so that I have a better chance of going home tomorrow.  The big kids came to visit today, but I miss Carter (it would have been too hard for him to be able to see me here and then have to leave without me again).

At least I’m off the monitors for now.  Being practically chained to the bed, unable to move for fear that the monitor would stop picking up the baby’s heart rate was no fun!  I will definitely be looking forward to being back in my own bed, and my own house where I control the temperature!  (Let me tell you, this hospital does not need Durham air conditioning repair …theirs is working JUST fine!)  And I’ll really be looking forward to eating something other than hospital food.  Thankfully, Grandma sent REAL coffee with Chad this morning!

I had an appointment with my OB today.  Nothing has changed.  I’m still bleeding every day (and have been for nearly a month), but Baby Girl still looks perfect.

The topic of doing steroid shots for her lungs came up.  Because they only “last” for seven days and there’s no evidence to suggest that things are getting worse right now, I think we’re going to hold off on doing the steroid shots for now.  If things appear to be getting worse again (heavier bleeding, more contractions), we’ll revisit the idea.  My OB did say he was going to call and talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks, though.  The reason we would still consider doing them is that I would need 2 shots, 24 hours apart.  If Baby Girl is coming early, it will be an emergency and we won’t have the 24 hours.  So we’ll see.

My next appointment is with my high risk doctor in a couple weeks.  I’m kind of upset that I’m not being monitored weekly like I was promised, but I’m going to talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks when I see him.

Today I had my appointment with the high risk specialist. They checked several possible sources of bleeding. I can’t remember what they all were, but they said for sure that it isn’t coming from the baby, so it is coming from a placenta abruption, which we pretty much already knew. It’s almost impossible for them to find the exact spot, but I guess it doesn’t really matter that much anyway.

My placenta is still low-lying and he thinks it could still move up, but if she has to be gotten out quickly anytime soon (I’m 23 weeks), it will have to be a c-section because it’s too low right now.

The baby looks really good. All of her measurements are perfect. My cervix is a little short, which he’s a little concerned about. I think that has changed recently because they always said it was long and closed at past ultrasounds.

He said I have a 10-15% chance of making it to term and I have a better than 50% chance (at this point) of the baby surviving. Both of those stats kind of blew me away. He said he has high hopes of me making it to 32 weeks. I’m not sure if that means he thinks I have a really good chance of making it that far, or if it means it’s a lofty goal to shoot for. I’m going to ask my doctor when I see him on Monday.

In addition to not lifting, I’m now not allowed to bend over either. I thought not lifting was hard, this is going to be ridiculous. It’s so automatic to just bend down.

My doctor had said I’d only have to see the high risk specialist one time, but I guess it’s going to be a regular thing (he kept saying I was a “special” patient…I kept thinking I don’t want to be special when it comes to things like this!!). I’ll keep seeing my OB weekly and I go back to the high risk doctor in 3 weeks for another ultrasound.

I think that’s everything. I don’t think I feel any better or worse about any of it (except those chances he gave me…those freaked me out a bit). I felt like I needed to keep asking questions to understand it better, but there were no more questions that they could give me answers to. They don’t really know exactly what’s going on or what’s going to happen and I just have to keep being monitored closely.

wordpress hit counter