Summer is here, and although I haven’t been able to spend much time out in the sun (one of the side effects of being stuck in a hospital bed for days), the kids have been spending lots of time out there!  I heard they were in their wading pool before 8:00 am this morning!

One of the biggest things on my must-buy-for-summer list is always sunscreen.  It’s so important to avoid overexposure to the sun!

I was thrilled to receive the Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review as a BzzAgent this summer.  This is truly amazing sunscreen.  I hate it when you spray sunscreen on and it leaves a greasy feeling all over your skin.  You can barely tell that this is on!  It is non-greasy, it won’t clog pores, it’s completely sheer, and it even looks great under makeup!  My favorite is the spray because it’s easy to spray the kids down, and it absorbs within a few seconds so I don’t have to worry about it coming off as soon as they get in the pool.

In all, I can’t recommend this sunscreen highly enough!

Disclosure: I received samples of Coppertone Clearly Sheer Sunscreen to review from BzzAgent.  All opinions are my own.

In case you can’t tell from the title, I’m writing this from the hospital where I’m on strict bed rest.

Yesterday, I had gushes of bright red bleeding so we rushed to the hospital.  They started steroid shots to develop the baby’s lungs and admitted me for monitoring.  They said I would be here at least until today so I could finish the round of steroids (it’s two shots, 24 hours apart).

My OB is on call today and told me I’ll be staying at least until tomorrow when I can see my high risk specialist.  He’ll decide what the best course of action is and when I can go home.

Last night was a bit rough.  I was having quite a few contractions, the baby wouldn’t stay on the monitors and I barely slept at all.  The contractions have calmed down today so I haven’t had to start the magnesium drip (yet).  Hopefully they will stay calm overnight so that I have a better chance of going home tomorrow.  The big kids came to visit today, but I miss Carter (it would have been too hard for him to be able to see me here and then have to leave without me again).

At least I’m off the monitors for now.  Being practically chained to the bed, unable to move for fear that the monitor would stop picking up the baby’s heart rate was no fun!  I will definitely be looking forward to being back in my own bed, and my own house where I control the temperature!  (Let me tell you, this hospital does not need Durham air conditioning repair …theirs is working JUST fine!)  And I’ll really be looking forward to eating something other than hospital food.  Thankfully, Grandma sent REAL coffee with Chad this morning!

I had an appointment with my OB today.  Nothing has changed.  I’m still bleeding every day (and have been for nearly a month), but Baby Girl still looks perfect.

The topic of doing steroid shots for her lungs came up.  Because they only “last” for seven days and there’s no evidence to suggest that things are getting worse right now, I think we’re going to hold off on doing the steroid shots for now.  If things appear to be getting worse again (heavier bleeding, more contractions), we’ll revisit the idea.  My OB did say he was going to call and talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks, though.  The reason we would still consider doing them is that I would need 2 shots, 24 hours apart.  If Baby Girl is coming early, it will be an emergency and we won’t have the 24 hours.  So we’ll see.

My next appointment is with my high risk doctor in a couple weeks.  I’m kind of upset that I’m not being monitored weekly like I was promised, but I’m going to talk to my high risk doctor about it and see what he thinks when I see him.

Today I had my appointment with the high risk specialist. They checked several possible sources of bleeding. I can’t remember what they all were, but they said for sure that it isn’t coming from the baby, so it is coming from a placenta abruption, which we pretty much already knew. It’s almost impossible for them to find the exact spot, but I guess it doesn’t really matter that much anyway.

My placenta is still low-lying and he thinks it could still move up, but if she has to be gotten out quickly anytime soon (I’m 23 weeks), it will have to be a c-section because it’s too low right now.

The baby looks really good. All of her measurements are perfect. My cervix is a little short, which he’s a little concerned about. I think that has changed recently because they always said it was long and closed at past ultrasounds.

He said I have a 10-15% chance of making it to term and I have a better than 50% chance (at this point) of the baby surviving. Both of those stats kind of blew me away. He said he has high hopes of me making it to 32 weeks. I’m not sure if that means he thinks I have a really good chance of making it that far, or if it means it’s a lofty goal to shoot for. I’m going to ask my doctor when I see him on Monday.

In addition to not lifting, I’m now not allowed to bend over either. I thought not lifting was hard, this is going to be ridiculous. It’s so automatic to just bend down.

My doctor had said I’d only have to see the high risk specialist one time, but I guess it’s going to be a regular thing (he kept saying I was a “special” patient…I kept thinking I don’t want to be special when it comes to things like this!!). I’ll keep seeing my OB weekly and I go back to the high risk doctor in 3 weeks for another ultrasound.

I think that’s everything. I don’t think I feel any better or worse about any of it (except those chances he gave me…those freaked me out a bit). I felt like I needed to keep asking questions to understand it better, but there were no more questions that they could give me answers to. They don’t really know exactly what’s going on or what’s going to happen and I just have to keep being monitored closely.

I have my 20-week ultrasound tomorrow!  I was very hopeful that we would find out that the subchorionic hemorrhage was gone, but after more bleeding the last couple of days, I’m pretty sure it’s not.  It could definitely be smaller though, which would be good news!  We’ll just have to wait and see.

In other news, we are back to school this week.  We’re splitting a week over this week and next week (because we still have craziness going on and can’t do school every day yet…plus I’m still catching up on stuff like quarterly taxes, paying bills and looking for insurance like don allred insurance ) and then we’re taking another week off to visit family.  When I looked over our school calendar for April, we’re only doing one week’s worth of school the entire month!  It’s been kind of nice to take a break, but it won’t still be nice when we’re still doing some of our school in July!

I’ll try to be back tomorrow to update after my ultrasound!

It’s almost time for us to dig back in and finish off our last ten weeks of this school year.  Can I just say that I do not feel refreshed and ready to get back to it?

I’m not sure where all of my extra hours I was supposed to have during this break have gone, but they have up and vanished.  We’ve been so busy anyway, I’m not sure exactly how we’re going to start squeezing school back in next week!  Oh well.  10 more weeks.  Just 10 more weeks.

One of the things we’ve added in that has kept us busy is taekwondo for the older kids.  They love it (mostly…Ava loves it and Kelvin is having some motivation issues, as usual) and they are just the cutest little taekwondo people ever, right?

I have two baskets of laundry calling my name and then I think I hear my pillow calling, too.  I know I haven’t been sleeping enough lately, so it’s time to fix that before we get back to the routine, too!

Right now we’re in the middle of a super-exciting spring break.  Where’s my sarcasm font when I need it?

We’re taking time off to be able to to deleaven and spring clean our house.  I’m almost done with the upstairs, but I still have the sewing/storage room and Chad’s and my room to do.  And next week we have to start on the downstairs.

I’m mostly dreading the kitchen, because since the main focus is deleavening, obviously that room will be the most work.  Too bad I can’t make it more fun by adding in picking out new kitchen cupboards and counters from here ! Haha. But alas, it will just be cleaning for now!

The funny thing is that we were having major attitude issues about school before we started our break.  Every day since then, Kelvin (who had the worst attitude of all) has been begging me to let him do “four days of school today”.  I know better than to hope this will last until we actually start school again!

I haven’t forgotten to come back and do my promised update on the subchorionic hemorrhage!

At my appointment last week (15 weeks, 6 days), the hemorrhage had grown a little.  It had been 4 cm around 12 weeks, but last Monday it was 6 cm x 2 cm x 3 cm.  So not enormously bigger, but not smaller like we were hoping, either.

I had to see a midwife who is not my normal care provider after my sonogram.  She told me my chances of continuing to carry the baby were only about 50%.  I was pretty shocked and crushed.  I was sure that getting well into the second trimester must have given me better chances.

Luckily, my doctor’s office called the next day after he reviewed my sonogram.  When I told the nurse what the midwife had said and asked some more questions about it, she told me she would talk to my doctor and call me back.  She called back with much better news.  My doctor thinks that since I didn’t miscarry after either of the gushing bleeds, my chances are much higher than 50% and he’s very optimistic that I’ll have a healthy baby at the end of this.  I was so relieved to hear that!

But since the hemorrhage is still there and does still pose risks, I’ll still continue having appointments every 2 weeks and ultrasounds every 4 weeks for now.  Which I don’t mind at all…the more we check up on Baby Girl, the more reassured I feel!  :)

GIRL!!

I’m so excited, and so is Ava!  Of course, I would have been happy either way, but I was really hoping for another girl to dress up in super-cute girly stuff.  Ava is just barely tolerating it anymore.

We also got an update on the subchorionic hemorrhage, but that’s for another post.  For this post, I’m just going to be thrilled that we’ll be having another little girl in a few months!

Photo

It sure has been quiet over here in my corner of the blogosphere.  In case you were wondering why, it’s because as soon as I got taken off of bedrest for my subchorionic hemorrhage (which is not resolved yet), we came down with whooping cough.

Carter and I came down with it first and the big kids followed a couple of weeks later.  Chad is the only one who has still not shown any symptoms.  At this point, I think he just might get lucky and escape it!

The kids and I just finished our 5 days of antibiotics, which supposedly means we’re not contagious anymore.  I’m not sure I believe it, though.  We all still feel awful and I’m pretty certain I cracked a rib last night because the coughing fits were so bad (I wish I were exaggerating or blowing it out of proportion).  I’ve definitely had it the worst and I think it’s because I’m also pregnant.  I’ve been vomiting at least once a day from coughing so hard…sometimes after every meal or snack.  Carter has vomited a few times (mostly at night) and the big kids haven’t vomited at all.  I think the big kids got their antibiotics soon enough that it probably won’t get super bad for them.  They probably still will be coughing for a long time to come, though.  It’s called the 100-day cough for a reason.

So that’s why it’s been quiet here.  We’ve been staying home all the time because of course we don’t want to share our germs, but with three kids with cabin-fever, that certainly doesn’t equate to extra blogging time for Mommy!